Early College Start - Dual Credit Program
Gateway Tech students are extremely fortunate to be able to participate in this program once they have attained junior classification, which means they have earned at least 13 credits. Students who are eligible are allowed to take up to two college courses per semester while still enrolled in high school.
The students not only earn college credit for the course(s) taken, but also high school credit for the same course(s). For example, if a Gateway student takes English 1301 at Austin Community College (ACC), he/she will earn college credit for the first semester of freshman English, as well as the first semester of either high school English III or English IV. Students who successfully complete a college course will receive advanced grade points for the course which helps raise their high school Grade Point Average (GPA). Refer to grading policy for more information.
High school students who reside in areas whose property taxes pay into the community college system, such as Round Rock ISD, pay no tuition for fees for those courses. Students in other communities pay only $74 per course while still in high school. This is a substantial savings for high school students.
By participating in this program, Gateway students:
- Experience college life prior to graduating from high school
- Network with other college students and learn about career tracks available
- Raise their GPA by earning advanced grade points
- Gain confidence in their educational abilities
- Accelerate through high school while earning college credit at the same time
- Develop a track record of college readiness before they graduate from high school, which helps ensure admission to more competitive universities and career programs
Gateway students are strongly encouraged to participate in this program. The campus coordinator will be conferencing with each eligible student to get them enrolled in the program.
For more information about the program, click here.